Friday, February 20, 2015

Dol Towers


First birthdays are a BIG deal. (Especially in the Korean culture.) You can learn more about Dol here.

To celebrate and honor some of the modern and traditional Korean customs, I made my own Dol Towers. These Dol towers are used to decorate the main tables. The towers consist of the child's name, Chuk Dol "Happy First Birthday", zodiac animal for the year the child was born, and other fun decorations. Because of my time constraint, I only made two.


I emptied out my oatmeal containers.


Turned the canister upside down, traced, and cut out a cardboard circle to place on to the canister so I would have a flat and even surface.

Stuffed the bottom of the canister with tissue and then glued the cardboard circle on top. (The purpose of the tissue was so that the cardboard circle would not cave in the middle.)


Trimmed the card stock to the height of the canister and covered up the sides and the top. (I used two card stocks for the sides and overlapped them.)

Centered the printouts onto the towers and adhered to the card stock.




Sorted out the beans and glued them onto the canisters. (I would suggest you place them on to make sure there is enough space and then glue, little sections at a time.)




I wanted my colors to include some gold, so I spray painted the larger beans and once they were dried, glued those on.

It definitely wasn't one of my quick and easy projects, but it was definitely worth making them! It'll add the extra punch to my head table. More pictures to come in the next couple of weeks!


{Project Details}

  • Two large oatmeal canisters
  • Chip board, coaster board, or card board
  • Different colored beans
  • Whisper White card stock
  • Printouts of zodiac animal, name, etc. (Free printables here.)
  • Spray paint
  • Hot Glue
  • Snail
  • Scissors



To order on-line 24/7 click here.


No comments :

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving me a comment! Have a great day.